Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) Closed Studies Policy
Closed study rooms in PCL are available for assignment to University of Texas at Austin doctoral candidates who have reached candidacy status and to current University of Texas at Austin permanent faculty.
APPLICATION AND THE ASSIGNMENT PROCESS
- Applications are available at PCL Borrower Services, PCL 2.122, (512) 495-4300. Staff assign studies based on the order in which applications are received.
- Assignments are made by the semester and may be renewed for one semester. Floor preference is honored if possible. Applicants are notified via email, and should maintain current addresses and with the University to ensure receiving notification. Unclaimed assignments are re-assigned promptly.
- If demand is high, applicants who file late in the semester may not receive assignment the following semester. Studies vacated before the end of the semester may be re-assigned; nevertheless, re-assignment of vacated studies to those on the waiting list is considered a full semester's assignment and those assignments may be renewed for the next consecutive semester only.
- An occupant in the second semester of assignment may re-apply only after vacating the study, and may be assigned the next semester if there is space available.
FURNISHINGS AND MAINTENANCE
- Studies are furnished with a desk, chair, shelves and bulletin board. Occupants may not move in other library furniture. To report lighting, air conditioning or other problems, notify staff in Borrower Services. Occupants who lose the key or fail to return it will be charged an $81.00 rekeying fee.
- Unoccupied studies should be locked. The University Libraries and the University of Texas assume no responsibility in the case of loss or damage to personal possessions kept in studies.
- Report thefts, vandalism or other criminal activities to the Borrower Services supervisor on duty and to the guard stationed at the exit.
- Storage of handguns is not permitted in closed studies or any areas within the Libraries.
WITHDRAWAL OF ASSIGNMENT
- Library staff regularly monitor studies. The following violations are cause for withdrawal of the study assignment:
- keeping unchecked-out library materials in the study.
- not using the study.
- transferring use to another person.
- using the study as a conference room or office.
- posting items outside the study.
- keeping heaters, coffee pots, radios or other small appliances in the study.
- substituting other library furniture for that supplied in the study.
- Renewal request forms must be returned by the date designated on the form. Assignments not renewed end the last day of the assigned term: January 14, May 14, September 14.
- If the study is not vacated and the key returned by the due date, or if the assignment is withdrawn, library staff prepare the study for the next occupant by:
- removing library materials and checking them in.
- disposing of personal materials in accordance with University rules regarding abandoned property .
- billing the assignee $81.00 for replacing the lock.